Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Quickbooks Forum

Tracking a project's expenses

Posted by Lily 
Tracking a project's expenses
March 20, 2013 06:44AM
Hello..

First I wanted to thank you for your tutorial videos. They are very helpful and perfectly explained. I just have one question in regards to accounts payable.

I saw how you created a vendor and also added a bill.. and you mentioned that when creating the bill you can add a customer/job to it so that you can track the costs of a certain project.

In my situation, I want to track all the expenses per driver. Basically.. it’s a trucking company with two drivers… most of the bills entered are for one truck or the other.. could be repairs, meals, etc.. so I figured I would make a “project/customer/job” to represent each truck. So I enter the bill under the vendor, I pick the account it should go under and add the amount and memo.. then I add the Customer: Job (which is created to represent a truck) and I uncheck “Billable” just like you did in your video. Up to this point I’m good.. Once I go to the Customer Center I see where the Customer: Job was added just like your Project A was added on your video.. Now I want to pull some type of report to see all the bills I have attached to this Customer/Project.. I can’t find a report that I can pull that provides me with the total amount of bills billed to a certain Customer/Project.

Am I doing this wrong? Is there another way to track the expenses per truck?

I apologize for my long email and I hope I explained myself correctly..

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated..

Thank you so much for your time and attention.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

Lily
Re: Tracking a project's expenses
March 30, 2013 10:12PM
Hello Lily,

The best solution here would be to set up each TRUCK as a "Class". Then you can run financials to represent each Truck's profitability, etc.

We recently created a video on QuickBooks Class Tracking

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Don't forget to register for our QuickBooks Contest ending tomorrow
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator