Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Quickbooks Forum

How to clear checks that actually cleared bank months ago

Posted by Jere 
How to clear checks that actually cleared bank months ago
May 21, 2014 04:30AM
I took over the books for a small company and am reconciling the end of 2013. I found several checks that actually cleared the bank back in March 2013 but they were never marked as cleared. The reconciliations have been completed up to December so I don't know the best/easiest way to go back and fix these old entries.

Thanks for your help.
Re: How to clear checks that actually cleared bank months ago
May 23, 2014 12:35AM
If the reconciliations have been done and the checks have been cleared but not reconciled in QuickBooks, I would run a report on the Reconciliation Discrepancy account for last year and see if there was an adjustment in March. If the adjustment is there and the total of uncleared checks matches it you can make a Journal Entry to reverse the adjustment (you could void it if it was in the current year) and reconcile them with your next bank reconciliation.
If there was no adjustment, go to Edit: Find: Amount = the total of the checks for March that were not cleared but were on your bank statement. They might be duplicates. If they are, delete the ones that aren't cleared (making sure they match the duplicates)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator